Friday, July 29, 2011

A few words about living from the inside...

Often I get the best inspiration for things to write about from simple phrases that someone just happens to say in ordinary conversation. This morning was a great example of just what I mean by that. I went to my Pilates class and not only did I have my favorite instructor, who has just returned to the studio after a long absence, I was the only one in the class so we had plenty of time to catch up with each other and work on muscles that don't always get the attention they need in a class of six other students. I caught her up on my life, my journey through the last year and how much I have grown. We flew through the hour with muscles and hearts engaged. As we moved to a piece of equipment I seldom get to work on I was so grateful to have been able to have a private lesson. I got on the equipment and she was instructing me how to do the exercise, being conscious of my body and the muscles I was using. I felt a little clumsy then she said something that resonated with me. She said "The movement all starts from the inside. When you do this, the object is to be doing this from your core, sending out the messages to your limbs to execute properly." I stopped and looked up at her and said that was great advice for life in general.

I have felt out of balance lately and the messages I'm sending are not coming from my core, they are coming from my head. Those are the times I find myself being reactionary, defensive and just not myself. Sometimes I try to make sense out of something that just doesn't make sense. I struggle to make it logical when really it doesn't matter if it is logical or not. When I live my life through my core, my heart and soul, I rarely feel the discord I've been feeling recently. I have to consciously remember to lead with my heart, trust myself and go in the direction that feels intuitively right. I have the ability to do that in my nursing practice and I know which way I need to move with a patient. I trust my intuition completely. I know that just because a person looks good on paper, stable vital signs and other tangible evidence of progressing toward improvement, that doesn't always mean they are doing well. When I follow my intuition in my practice, I am rarely wrong. How do I consistently do that in my life outside of my job to keep me on the right track?

The way I get back in balance is to stop and breathe, roll my neck around a little, stretch and remind myself that I am exactly where I need to be. Then I take stock of my surroundings. Do they reflect my heart or my head? I live in a beautiful space and when guests have visited, they more often than not tell me it is exactly the kind of place they would picture me living. I send up a prayer of gratitude for what I have in my life. When I let myself dwell on loss, I am living with my head and not my heart; not living with my intuition leading the way. When I look back on my life, every decision I have made that contradicted my intuition has not turned out the way I expected. I find when I pay attention to my intuition and not question it, I am able to move forward from a place in my core, and direct my limbs to carry out the movement. It is the perfect way for me to live.

So the message for today is that I love my body more than living in my head. When I live my life from the inside out, following my core and intuition, I rarely go wrong. My head often over thinks but my heart instinctively leads me in the right direction.

Today I desire a day that begins from the inside...

XO,
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment