Saturday, July 9, 2011

A few words about being "big" enough...

The other day I was in the nail salon and as I was sitting waiting for my polish to dry, a little girl with newly painted blue nails approached and gingerly slid her fingers under the dryer facing me. I looked over the top and smiled at her. I was perched in the chair, the least favorite thing for any mani/pedi lover, with my toes under the blower at my feet and my fingers resting on the table with warm air caressing my own newly lacquered nails. She looked back at her mother who was finishing up her pedicure then back at me and after the reassurance her mother was only steps away decided I was a friendly face. She smiled back at me and I asked her if she was also planning on getting her toes done. She thought for a moment, then said "no." When I asked her why, she said, "Because my legs aren't long enough to reach under the dryer." It was funny to me then, but as I was thinking about it later I realized that I have made decisions to not do something because I thought I wasn't "big" enough. My ego was in the way, I had self doubt that would creep into my consciousness and thought failure would be embarrassing. I thought about how much behavior I have grown into over time when in reality I could have made different choices, but just as she needed to learn that she was big enough, so did I. She could have chosen to let her toes air dry, stood with her toes under the dryer, or a myriad of different choices. I could see how I had limited myself in my life by not realizing just how many options are really out there waiting for me.
After having nearly 57 years of life experience and the desire to continually challenge myself to grow bigger, I have come to learn that listening to my intuition, trusting myself to know I am big enough for anything, and then jumping in with both feet is usually the best choice. I wouldn't have known that when I was six, and I probably didn't know it when I was
50. But I know it now. It is a lesson I have learned well. My legs are long enough and while I continue to stretch into my life, I realize how many things are just waiting for me to open my palm to receive.
Just as the little girl had to grow physically, I had to grow emotionally and follow my own path as it appeared before me, gathering life experience that has helped me develop into the confident woman I am today. So the message for today is that I love my body more than limiting my options by believing I'm too small for anything.

I am greeting this new day with a stretch from the tips of my fingers to the tips of my very cute pink toes...I wonder what is in store for me today!

XO,
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment