Saturday, August 13, 2011

A few words about Focus...

I started posting a gratitude on my Facebook status daily, and my commitment to myself is to do it for 100 days. I have gotten several comments from friends who are asking why I'm doing it and does it have some sort of meaning. I simply explain that whenever I'm stressed, or need to change my focus in my life, I return to consciously living in thankfulness. I focus on the things I have in my life and not what is missing. I immerse myself in gratitude. From the sun as it bounces off the windows of the buildings downtown, to succulent fruit I eat over the sink with the juices dripping off my elbows, to the challenges I have faced over the last year of my life. It is an unconditional, 100% money back if not satisfied cure for anything that ails me. Choosing 100 days was just a number.

I came home from work last night exhausted and frankly very angry about a decision that was made by another involving a patient. I sat with it on the drive home, came into my beautiful condo, took off my shoes and changed into some comfy clothes. Still feeling a little heated about work, I opened my refrigerator. I do this several times daily, just looking around to see if the food fairy stopped by to drop anything interesting in there that didn't happen to be there the last time I looked. I stooped down to see if there was something I might have missed in the back and spotted a small watermelon. As soon as I cut into it and had my first juicy bite, I sent up a thanks to the Universe for landing it in my hands. My anger was gone. I realized that while I didn't have the greatest day at work, my work day was over and now I was home enjoying the watermelon with the balcony doors open, savoring the rest of my evening.

I make a conscious decision to live in thankfulness, and when I get myself into a knot about something, I can always land back on my feet when I shift my focus back to the life I choose to live. It is like flipping a switch for me. My brain isn't wired to hold gratitude and anger simultaneously.

So the message for today is that I love my body more than losing my focus. I make choices that are good for me, and gratitude is a good choice. So is an ice cold watermelon on a hot summer evening.

I am grateful for you.

XO,
Karen

1 comment:

  1. Love the positivity! If you have a story about how positive thinking brought you good things, I'd love to feature it on my blog, www.storiesandtruth.com, with a link back to your site. Let me know! mollie@mollieplayer.com

    ReplyDelete